1. He went ahead ________ all warnings about the danger of his mission.
A) in case of B) because of C) regardless of D) prior to
2. We object ________ punishing a whole group for one person’s fault.
A) against B) about C) to D) or
3. Jack is good, kind, hard-working and intelligent; ________; I can’t speak too highly of him.
A) as a result B) in a word C) by the way D) on the contrary
4. The man to whom we handed the forms pointed out that they had not been _______ filled in.
A) consequently B) regularly C) comprehensively D) properly
5. I shall have companion in the house after all these ________ years.
A) single B) sole C) alone D) lonely
6. After a long and exhausting journey, they arrived ________.
A) till the last B) at last C) by the end D) at the end
7. None of the servants were ________ when Mr. Smith wanted to send a message.
A) available B) attainable C) approachable D) applicable
8. I can’t ________ what that object is.
A) make up B) make over C) make out D) make for
9. I want to buy a new tie to ________ this brown suit.
A) go into B) go after C) go with D) go by
10. The newest satellite can ________ a thousand telephone conversations and a colour TV program at the same time.
A) carry B) extend C) bring D) take
11. I can ________ some noise while I’m studying, but I can’t stand loud noises.
A) come up with B) catch up with C) put up with D) keep up with
12. When the whole area was ________ by the flood, the government sent food there by helicopter.
A) cut away B) cut down C) cut up D) cut off
13. The bridge was named ________ the hero who gave his life for the cause of the people.
A) after B) with C) by D) from
14. There were no tickets ________ for Friday’s performance.
A) preferable B) considerable C) possible D) available
15. Many new ________ will be opened up in the future for those with a university education.
A) opportunities B) necessities C) realities D) probabilities
16. The rain was heavy and ________ the land was flooded.
A) consequently B) continuously C) constantly D) consistently
17. The engine ________ smoke and steam.
A) gives up B) gives in C) gives away D) gives off
18. Don’t ________ this news to the public until we give you the go-ahead.
A) release B) relieve C) relate D) retain
19. I should like to rent a house, modern, comfortable and ________ in a quiet neighborhood.
A) all in all B) above all C) after all D) over all
20. ________ we have finished the course, we shall start doing more revision work.
A) For now B) Now that C) Ever since D) By now
21. What you have done is ________ the doctor’s orders.
A) attached to B) responsible to C) resistant to D) contrary to
22. They ________ in spite of the extremely difficult conditions.
A) carried out B) carried off C) carried on D) carried forward
23. My camera can be ________ to take pictures in cloudy or sunny conditions.
A) treated B) adjusted C) adopted D) remedied
24. Children who are over-protected by their parents may become ________.
A) hurt B) damaged C) spoiled D) harmed
25. When Mr. Jones gets old, he will ________ over his business to his son.
A) take B) hand C) think D) get
26. ________ you poor record in school, we think you should study harder.
A) In view of B) In charge of C) In spite of D) In case of
27. Police have ________ to the public to come forward with any information which might help them in their inquiries.
A) urged B) claimed C) appealed D) called
28. I am sorry I ________ your glasses off the desk when I was wiping it.
A) drew B) hit C) struck D) knocked
29. Why don’t you have a night out? It would take your ________ off your worries.
A) cares B) heart C) head D) mind
30. Some hard plastics can be ________ metals in manufacturing machine parts.
A) substituted for B) taken the place of
C) replaced in D) given way to
1-5 CCBDD 6-10 BACCA
11-15 CDADA 16-20 ADABB
21-25 DCBCB 26-30 ACDDA