Ⅰ. Phonetics (10 Points)
In each of the following groups of words, there are four underlined letter combinations marked A, B, C and D. Compare the underlined parts and identify the one that is different from the others in pronunciation. Mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1.A. captain B. various C. Atlantic D. metallic
2.A. beach B. beat C. beast D. great
3.A. heat B. health C. already D. pleasant
4.A. waste B. paste C. voyage D. snake
5.A. fortune B. public C. Russia D. suffer
6.A. familiar B. family C. blanket D. factory
7.A. thrown B. follow C. brown D. shown
8.A. nineteenth B. ninth C. southern D. fifth
9.A. pull B. pollute C. true D. truth
10.A. correct B. discover C. comfort D. come
Ⅱ. Vocabulary and Structure (50 points)
There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
11. The old man found _______ on the floor.
A. lying dead B. lying death C. laying dead D. laying death
12. Grandma has no water, please ________ some for her.
A. take B. carry C. fetch D. bring
13. The shoes he wore made his _______ look funny.
A. feet B. foots C. hand D. foot
14. This restaurant always _______ delicious dishes.
A. gives B. offers C. have D. serves
15. There is _______ sugar. You needn’t go to buy any.
A. plenty of B. a large number of C. a great many D. plenty
16. Hardly _______ sat down when the telephone rang.
A. did I B. had I C. I D. have I
17. The ______ candle is still _______.
A. lit…burned B. lighted…burning C. lit…burning D. lighted…burned
18. _______ come into leaf or bloom is obviously a sign of spring.
A. Trees B. The trees C. That trees D. What trees
19. _______ in the open air, wet clothes can get dry easily.
A. Hang B. Hanged C. Hung D. To hang
20. He doesn’t spend much time _______ his homework.
A. in B. with C. on D. for
21.—What do you think of it?
—It just happened _______ we had expected.
A. that B. which C. it D. as
22. Jane, what do you think of Mr. Green?
As ______ teacher, he ought to set _______ good example to the pupils.
A. the…a B. a…a C. a…the D. / …the
23. They found a _______ old woman ________ on the ground when the door was broken open.
A. dying…lying B. dead…lied C. death…laying D. died…lain
24. _______, the children went to the park.
A. It was a fine day B. Being a fine day
C. It being a fine day D. Because the fine day
25. ________ in the strange city, poor Bill fell to ________.
A. Lost…crying B. Lost…cry
C. Having been lost…crying D. To lese…cry
26. Don’t get off the bus until it ________.
A. has stopped B. stopped C. will stop D. shall stop
27. I took _______ tea than you.
A. less B. few C. fewer D. little
28. The squirrel was lucky that it just missed _______.
A. catching B. to be caught C. being caught D. to catch
29. I must be off now. It’s time I _______ to school.
A. go B. went C. will go D. am going
30. To serve the people means giving as _______ and ask for as _______ as possible.
A. much…little B. much…few C. many…a little D. more…less
31. What we are doing _______ good to the people.
A. are B. have been C. is D. be
32. John is _______ of the two students.
A. cleverer B. the clever C. the cleverer D. the cleverest
33. He used to be a heavy smoker, _______?
A. used he B. didn’t he C. doesn’t he D. wouldn’t he
34. Rather than _______, he ran all the way home.
A. walk B. walked C. walking D. to walk
35. Get to the top of hill, ______ you can see the whole city.
A. or B. but C. and D. so
36. What you said sounds right. I’m considering _______ this job.
A. accepting B. accept C. to accept D. will accept
37. _______ I came into the office, the teachers were having a meeting.
A. While B. When C. Once D. Since
38. Half of those books _______ best-sellers.
A. is B. are C. am D. was
39. _______ Chicago is a beautiful city today, but _______ Chicago of the 1920s was a very dirty place.
A. The…the B. /…/ C. A…the D. /…the
40. ______ he is, Tom knows a lot of things.
A. Child as B. Clever as C. Fool although D. A boy as
41. Is that the reason _______ you are in favor of the proposal?
A. what B. of which C. why D. for
42. The train will _______ Beijing at about half past seven.
A. arrive B. get C. reach D. reach to
43. Nearly everybody _______ colds in winter.
A. suffer from B. suffers in C. suffers from D. suffer for
44. ______ that your son is well again, you no longer have anything to worry about.
A. When B. After C. Before D. Now
45. We never dared to ask him a question, _______?
A. did we B. didn’t we C. dared we D. daredn’t we
46. You seldom have to do the cooking, ________?
A. have you B. haven’t you C. do you D. don’t you
47. _______ no exercise-book, he had to write on a piece of paper.
A. There was B. There is C. There being D. There having
48.—Where _______ the camera? I can’t see it anywhere.
—I _______ it right here. But now it’s gone.
A. did you put…put B. have you put…have put
C. had you put…was putting D. had you put…have put
49. In another year or so, you ______ all about it.
A. would forget B. forget C. have forgotten D. will have forgotten
50.—If that’s not yours, _______?
A. whose else can it be B. whose else’s can it be
C. who’s else can it be D. who else can it be
Ⅲ. Cloze (10 points)
For each blank in the following passage there are four choices given below and marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that is most suitable and mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
This is an old story. People tell it to children all over the world. Cinderella’s father and mother _51_. She lived with her aunt. Her aunt had two daughters. All of them Cinderella because she was beautiful. They made her _52_ in the house all day long.
One day, the Prince was _53_. The king asked all the ladies in the land to come to a great dance. _54_ the dance the Prince would choose his wife.
When Cinderella heard about the dance, she wanted to go. Her aunt and the ugly sisters laughed and said, “You can’t go.” Then they went off to the dance. Poor Cinderella sat by the fire _55_.
_56_ she heard a gentle voice saying, “Don’t cry, Cinderella, you shall go to the dance. I will help you.” Cinderella _57_ and saw a little old lady. She waved her stick at Cinderella. Suddenly she was wearing a wonderful dress. “Now go to the dance.” said the little lady.
Cinderella enjoyed the dance very much. The Prince danced with her _58_. Suddenly the clock began to strike twelve. She hurried back home. She lost one of her glass shoes _59_. The next day, the Prince sent men to all parts of the country with the glass shoe.
“If anyone can wear this small shoe,” he said, “She must be the beautiful lady, and I will marry her.”
When the men brought the shoe to the ugly sisters, they both pretended _60_ the shoe, but their feet were big and the shoe was small. The man laughed. “Let Cinderella try.” Said one of the men. Cinderella put the shoe on easily. Then the Prince married her, and they lived happily ever after.
51.A. both were dead B. were both death C. were both died D. were both dead
52.A. to do all the work B. did all the work C. do all the work D. doing all the work
53.A. old enough to be married with B. old enough to marry
C. old enough to marry with D. old enough to be married
54.A. During the night of B. At the night of C. One the night of D. In the night of
55.A. to cry B. crying C. to be crying D. to be cried
56.A. Sudden B. All on sudden C. On sudden D. All of a sudden
57.A. looked up B. looked at C. looked for D. looked down
58.A. at that time B. at times C. all the time D. at one time
59.A. on the steps B. within the steps C. in the steps D. under the steps
60.A. to put on B. putting on C. to wear D. to have on
Ⅳ. Reading Comprehension (60 points)
There are four reading passages in this part. Each passage is followed by five questions. For each question there are four suggested answers marked A, B, C and D. Choose one best answer and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
What’s the best way to protect a tender, green seedling from the hungry stomach of deer? Give the seedling bad breath!
The same chemical that gives people bad breath after they have eaten garlic can save small trees from being eaten by animals.
A kind of chemical selenium(硒), which is also found in garlic, is planted in the soil near a young tree. The tree’s roots absorb the selenium which is then carried to the leaves.
From there the selenium is used to form a chemical called dimethyl selenide (乙烷硒化物)—the same chemical made in the human mouth after eating garlic. As deer wander around looking for food, they smell the seedlings’ leaves and leave the plants alone.
The selenium is important. Why? Because each year deer eat millions of dollars’ worth of trees farm seedlings.
So far, selenium has been tested only on Douglas fir (枞树) seedlings, but researchers think they could protect fruit trees and garden plants, too.
61. When people eat garlic, ________.
A. they send out a horrible smell B. they are out of breath
C. they will feel sick D. it is hard for them to breathe
62. According to this passage the bad smell given off from those leaves is that of ______.
the young trees absorb garlic
the roots of the young trees smell like garlic
the young trees aren’t fit for the deer to eat
the leaves of the young trees smell like garlic
64. Up till the time the news was announced, this kind of chemical was used _______.
A. all over the world B. all over the United States
C. on fruit trees and garden trees D. on Douglas fir young trees
65. The best title of this passage is ________.
A. Hungry Deer and Young Trees B. Why Don’t Deer Eat Young Fruit Trees
C. Plants Saved by “Bad Breath” D. How to Protect Young Trees