The computer plays an important part in our everyday life. It is one of the great __1__ in the world in the __2__ century. It works for us not only at home, in the offices, in big shops, __3__ at schools. Today it is used __4__ many ways. It really __5__ the world large wealth (财富) and happiness.
The first computer in the world was __6__ Enid. It was built in America in 1946. It was __7__ and heavy. __8__ it was born, it has been developing very fast. Until now it has gone __9__ four periods(时期，阶段)and changed a lot. There’re many kinds of computers. Computers are getting smaller and smaller and computing faster and faster. It becomes more and more __10__.
The computer can do most of the things __11__ the people. It can help us to __12__ about the real world more quickly, to learn __13__ we want to learn and to think __14__ ourselves. __15__ a student in the twenty-first century, you must work hard at it.
1. A. inventions B. discoveries C. robots D. inventors
2. A. twenty-first B. twenties C. twelfth D. twentieth
3. A. also B. but also C. too D. either
4. A. in B. to C. by D. over
5. A. takes B. helps C. gets D. brings
6. A. found B. invented C. called D. bought
7. A. easy B. small C. large D. light
8. A. For B. Until C. When D. Since
9. A. by B. across C. through D. against
10.A. serious B. harmful. C. dangerous D. helpful
11.A. for B. to C. at D. with
12.A. set B. tell C. know D. talk
13.A. what B. that C. which D. who
14.A. of B. about C. out D. for
15.A. For B. Be C. As D. To
Many people think that Americans 1 their cars almost more than anything else. When 2__ people are fourteen years old, they want to have their __3_ cars. They don’t ask for a car from their 4__. So many of them work in _5_ time during their last year of high school to buy a car. Learning to 6 _ and getting a driver’s license may be one of the most exciting things in a young person’s life.
Some people almost 7 _ go to a doctor when they are ill. But they will __8_ their cars to a garage as soon as they think there is a 9 . On Saturdays or Sundays some people may 10 most of their time washing and repairing their cars.
1. A. prefer B. love C. drive D. play
2. A. little B. big C. old D. young
3. A. new B. own C. expensive D. cheap
4. A, friends B. teachers C. parents D. brothers
5. A. free B. busy C. study D. good
6. A. make B. mend C. wash D. drive
7. A. always B. never C. often D. usually
8. A. take B. carry C. pull D. lift
9. A. question B. wrong C. mistake D. problem
10. A. cost B. get C. spend D. use
1. B。通过下文的事例不难看出美国人对汽车不是一般的喜欢，故用love it，较
8. A。carry应为―搬运‖，push 为―推‖，lift 意思为―举，提起‖都不合文意，take sth. to 某地，意为―把……带到……‖。
9. D。只能选择一个名词, 表示汽车的―故障,毛病‖, 故选problem。 10. C。spend some time doing sth.为一个固定搭配，意为―花时间干某事‖。