1.abide by(=be faithful to ; obey)忠于;遵守。
2. be absent from…. 缺席，不在
3. absence of mind(=being absent-minded) 心不在焉
4. absorb(=take up the attention of)吸引…的注意力(被动语态)be absorbed in 全神贯注于… 近义：be engrossed ; be lost in ; be rapt in ;be concentrated on ; be focused on ; be centered on
5. (be) abundant in(be rich in; be well supplied with) 富于,富有
6. access(to) (不可数名词) 能接近,进入,了解
7. by accident(=by chance, accidentally)偶然地,意外. Without accident(=safely) 安全地,
8. of one’s own accord(=without being asked; willingly; freely)自愿地 ,主 动地
9. in accord with 与…一致 . out of one’s accord with 同….不一致
10. with one accord (=with everybody agreeing)一致地
11. in accordance with (=in agreement with) 依照,根据
12. on one’s own account 1) 为了某人的缘故, 为了某人自己的利益 2) (=at one’s own risk) 自行负责 3) (=by oneself)依靠自己 on account 赊账; on account of 因为; on no account不论什么原因也不;of …account 有…..重要性.
13. take…into account(=consider)把...考虑进去
14. give sb. an account of 说明, 解释 (理由)
15. account for (=give an explanation or reason for) 解释, 说明.
Nasreddin was a poor man, so he tried to grow __1__ he could in his own garden, so that he would not have to buy so many in the market.
One evening he heard a noise in his garden and looked out of the window. A white ox had got into the garden and __2__ his vegetables. Nasreddin at once took his stick, ran out and chased the ox, but he was too old to catch it. When he got back to his garden, he found that the ox had ruined most of his precious vegetables.
__3__, while he __4__ in the street near his house, he saw a cart with two white oxen which looked very much like the one that __5__ his vegetables. He was carrying his stick with him, __6__ he at once began to beat the two oxen with it. As neither of them looked more like the ox that had eaten his vegetables than the other, he beat both of them equally hard.
The owner of the ox and cart was drinking coffee in a __7__ coffee-house. When he saw __8__ Nasreddin was doing __9__ his animals, he ran out and shouted, ?What are you doing? What have those poor animals done to you for you to beat them like that?‖
?You keep out this!‖ Nasreddin shouted back, ?This is a matter between me and one of these two oxen. He knows very well __10__ I am beating him!‖
1. A. so many vegetables B. many vegetables C. as many as vegetables D. as many vegetables as
2. A. was eating B. ate C. had eaten D. has eaten
3. A. Next day B. Next morning C. Last morning D. The next morning
4. A. walks B. waked C. was walking D. walking
5. A. ruined B. had eaten C. ate D. had ruin
6. A. so B. and C. but D. or
7. A. beside B. nearby C. near D. near by
8. A. that B. which C. why D. what
9. A. for B. to C. with D. on
10.A. reason B. when C. why D. because
1.D。习惯用语as many as possible 意为―尽可能多的‖合乎文意，为正确选项。
2.A。过去进行时强调过去正在进行的动作，根据文意Nasreddin看到牛正在吃蔬菜，故选 was eating 。
3.D。指过去某一天的第一天或第二天早上、晚上，应用the next day/morning/evening。 故应选The next morning 。
4.C。在从句动作进行的过程中，主句动作发生了，这时从句常用进行时态，故选择was walking 。
9.B。do sth. to sb.结构中to后面常接动作的对象。
10.C。牛主人问及Nasreddin打牛的原因，这里需要一个引导词引导 knew的宾语从句，且在从句中作状语，根据上文可知这里应填 why。
Tom grows the nicest vegetables and fruits and the most beautiful flowers in the village. Plants grow in Tom’s garden all through the __1__ and they are much __2__.
Tom cuts some flowers for his sitting room table, eats some fruits and vegetables, but he __3__ most of them in the market. His vegetables, fruit and flowers are so __4__ and beautiful that they sold much more __5__ in the market than those of other villagers.
How does Tom grow these beautiful things? He is so __6__ that he just sits under his orange tree with his radio.
He __7__ the music all day.
That is quite true. Tom __8__ things in spring, summer, autumn and winter. After that he sits with his radio. And everything __9__. It is the music that does the work. Tom knows more clearly that music makes the biggest vegetables and the most beautiful flowers. Plants love __10__ as much as people.
1. A. week B. month C. season D. year
2. A. better B. worse C. less D. later
3. A. buys B. sells C. borrows D. lends
4. A. dear B. bad C. big D. small
5. A. politely B. quickly C. slowly D. carefully
6. A. angry B. busy C. tired D. lazy
7. A. listens to B. hears C. watches D. speaks
8. A. fills B. plants C. throws D. makes
9. A. does B. moves C. grows D. plays
10.A. work B. rain C. stories D. music
7. A。表示听音乐这一动作应用listen to 。